Saturday, May 19, 2007

Threads in Sip Communicator

Today I am investigating how threading is handled by SIP Communicator.

So far it appears that the standard way of handling some action that must run concurrently is to

1) create a nested class following the naming template "DoSomething" (example: LaunchBrowser within BrowserLauncherImpl.java). Have that class extend Thread (or implement Runnable) and contain what needs to be done in the run() method
2) When the time comes, invoke the necessary code with the new operator.


I am going to try and get this system working for waiting for incoming calls.

Right now my big question is whether a thread will die a proper death once it meets the end of the run() method. Intuitively, that would seem to make sense, but I'm going to try and confirm it in the docs before I code it.

I just got here, I'm going to try not to mess up the place by leaving threads all over.

No comments: