Well, I committed the sin of "implementing feature B before testing feature A," and now here's where I am at:
Whenever I try to connect a call (either via clicking the answer button or via letting the mailbox pick it up) I get "java.net.BindException: Address already in use." This also happens when I try to create an outgoing call. This is caused by one of the following:
-something I did while trying to move some values to the configuration files
-something I did while trying to get the incoming message to wait for the outgoing message to finish before recording starts
-something else entirely.
Right now neither scenario is looking very likely.